Inventory: Lists | Log | References | Condensed | Search

This is a list of the only bridge from the suspension bridge inventory crossing River Nevis. Please note that different rivers with the same name will be grouped together. For example, selecting 'Bear Creek' shows bridges across several different Bear Creeks. Also, similarly named rivers are grouped separately. For example, 'River Dee' (UK) bridges are grouped separately from 'Dee River' (Australia) bridges. Wherever you see a "Bridgemeister ID" number you can click it to isolate the bridge on its own page. Click here to go to the list of crossings.
1982 (footbridge)
Glen Nevis vicinity, Scotland, United Kingdom (River Nevis)
Bridgemeister ID:1458
Coordinates:N 56.811717 W 5.076033
Maps:Acme, Google, MapQuest
Status:In use (last checked, 2009)
Main cables:Wire (steel)
Suspended spans:1
Main span:107f
  • This is not the popular wire rope crossing at Glen Nevis which is literally three ropes -- two to hold onto and one to walk on. Instead, this listing is a traditional suspension footbridge just north of Glen Nevis.
  • Don McGillivray worked on this bridge and sent information about its construction.
    "The Suspension bridge was principally built by five Royal Engineers from 15 Field Support Squadron Royal Engineers in the summer of 1982. They were Sapper Terry Bradley (Metal workworker) Sapper Paul Brookes (Draughtsman), Sapper Ian Duggan (Surveyor), Sapper Taff Green (Draughtsman) Sapper Don McGillivray (Blacksmith).
    "The pier footings and anchorages were excavated by hand as the plant machines were being used on another project at Caol and upriver at the priority bridge opposite the YMCA.The Accrow shuttering and Re-bar was humped and Concrete was pumped across the river over a series of aluminium Mk4 assualt boats. Once the concrete cured, the steel work, provided by Highland Engineering was manhandled across the river using the same boats. The steel uprights and main cable were raised and positioned using a block and tackle from a wooden Gyn. The main cables were anchored on the east bank and were tensioned on the west bank using two tirfor winches. The hangers and stringers were strung out from the west bank in a series like stepping stones until the decking could be positioned.
    "The Bridge took five weeks start to finish the best part of the build was the weather which was hot and as we were constantly dropping tools etc. in the river, you had to jump in after it. We later moved up to finish the two span through deck bridge at the YMCA. This bridge replaced an old narrow bridge that used to be a part of a WW2 Mulberry Harbour section."
Photo by Dave Cooper

Do you have any information or photos for these bridges that you would like to share? Please email

Mail | Facebook | Twitter