|Bidwell Bar Suspension Bridge|
Home | Bridges | Inventory | Snapshots
All photos by David Denenberg, please do not reuse without permission. Built in 1856, this bridge originally spanned the Feather River. It was removed and warehoused in the 1960's before the location was inundated by the creation of the Oroville Dam and Oroville reservoir. It was reassembled at this Kelly Ridge site (overlooking the reservoir) in 1977. It is often cited as the first suspension bridge built west of the Mississippi. So the story goes, the material was shipped by boat from the U.S. east coast around Cape Horn to the west coast. Today, the cables aren't carrying much of any load. There are many wooden supports underneath the bridge.
"Starbucks Ironworks, Troy NY"